Online Helmsmen Speech AND Debate Camp
Time & Location
Online Learning is Not the Same: We understand that learning online is not the same as in-person learning. We've consulted with education specialists, and used sound educational philosophy to ensure that our online program is carefully designed to be an effective learning environment (despite the challenges). Here is how we are ensuring we are serving you the best we can in this season.
- Varying Options: Camp Lectures are held from 10 a.m. - 12 noon, and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. so that students don't have to spend all day on the computer! Optional worship will be held from 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. every morning for those seeking corporate worship. Small group devotional and prayer time will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. for those who want to participate in spiritual community with other Stoa members. Fun activities will be held in the evening each day to provide meaningful and fun socialization.
- Special Opportunities for One-on-One Coaching: Daily “coaching hours” will be offered in 30 minute to 1 hour slots outside of the regular “lecture time." Students will have the opportunity to sign up to work one-on-one with a coach, subject to availability. We will have opportunities for students to receive written feedback from a coach on any written speech/debate document.
- Educational Support: We want to be sure that the education your student receives is dynamic and productive. We will be using Google Classroom to provide students with a safe platform for feedback, a support network, access to resources, and consistent coaching throughout their time at camp. There will be a one hour lunch break, and a 10 minute break every 50 minutes to ensure students' attention spans aren't overtaxed.
- Our educational philosophy regarding online learning emphasizes the importance of predictable breaks through which students have enough time to move away from their computer and take a "brain break" without switching to play mode. As such, we've timed our breaks so that your students can engage in their education while avoiding a "Zoom Fatigue." (Shoot us an email if you would like to know more.)
In addition, your camper will get all of the same benefits as in-person attendees:
Speech Camp: Platform speech competitors will improve their rhetorical skills while learning how to craft a creative and compelling message that stands out and has an impact on the audience, all while maintaining their voice.
Interpretive speakers will learn how to make literature come to life by diving into the processes that make an interp both enjoyable and successful. Expect growth in the many skills and abilities necessary for understanding literature, as well as the editing process and performance of an interpretive speech.
Limited Prep competitors will learn how to do research that demonstrates their understanding of the material, how to manage their prep time, and how to prepare their hearts and minds to give a speech that is compelling, well-reasoned and impactful.
Debate Camp: Lincoln Douglas sessions will offer a philosophical analysis of the resolution, with lectures geared to educate students on the underpinnings of the resolution while providing cutting-edge research and portable skills. Through analysis of fundamental Lincoln Douglas argumentation and detailed analysis of complex moral framework, our staff will provide students with a never before offered educational and challenging approach to teaching value theory.
Team Policy sessions will offer in-depth lectures that break down the foundations of Policy Debate, and will provide students with essential tools and strategies required to master Policy. Each of our lecturers are highly experienced veteran Alumni and coaches in Team Policy and will bring a wide array of unique and expert knowledge on the nuances of Team Policy. Students will take away an expanded knowledge of argumentation and analysis of Policy Topics. They will be taught stock issues and debate theory at their most competitive and strategic level to succeed.
Helmsmen’s Parliamentary Debate sessions will offer an approach and expertise found at no other camp. All presenters are highly accomplished and experienced in this increasingly popular and rigorous form of debate. Students will build a foundation of strength by focusing on refining time management, research, and mental agility. The student will take away the skills, tools and understanding necessary to reach new heights in Parli.
- Camp Tuition$298.14$298.140$0
- Camp Tuition, Housing, Meals$802.14$802.140$0
- Camp Tuition and Commuter Meal$610.14$610.140$0
- Family Housing$624$6240$0
- Camp Tuition and Meals$622.14$622.140$0
- Individual Full Meal Plan$324$3240$0
- Individual Housing$180$1800$0
- Individual Commuter Meal Plan$312$3120$0