Online Helmsmen Speech Camp
Time & Location
Online Learning is Not the Same: We understand that learning online is not the same as in-person learning. We've consulted with education specialists, and used sound educational philosophy to ensure that our online program is carefully designed to be an effective learning environment (despite the challenges). Here is how we are ensuring we are serving you the best we can in this season.
- Varying Options: Camp Lectures are held from 10 a.m. - 12 noon, and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. so that students don't have to spend all day on the computer! Optional worship will be held from 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. every morning for those seeking corporate worship. Small group devotional and prayer time will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. for those who want to participate in spiritual community with other Stoa members. Fun activities will be held in the evening each day to provide meaningful and fun socialization.
- Special Opportunities for One-on-One Coaching: Daily “coaching hours” will be offered in 30 minute to 1 hour slots outside of the regular “lecture time." Students will have the opportunity to sign up to work one-on-one with a coach, subject to availability. We will have opportunities for students to receive written feedback from a coach on any written speech/debate document.
- Educational Support: We want to be sure that the education your student receives is dynamic and productive. We will be using Google Classroom to provide students with a safe platform for feedback, a support network, access to resources, and consistent coaching throughout their time at camp. There will be a one hour lunch break, and a 10 minute break every 50 minutes to ensure students' attention spans aren't overtaxed.
- Our educational philosophy regarding online learning emphasizes the importance of predictable breaks through which students have enough time to move away from their computer and take a "brain break" without switching to play mode. As such, we've timed our breaks so that your students can engage in their education while avoiding a "Zoom Fatigue." (Shoot us an email if you would like to know more.)
In addition, your camper will get all of the same benefits as in-person attendees:
Platform speech competitors will improve their rhetorical skills while learning how to craft a creative and compelling message that stands out and has an impact on the audience, all while maintaining their voice.
Interpretive speakers will learn how to make literature come to life by diving into the processes that make an interp both enjoyable and successful. Expect growth in the many skills and abilities necessary for understanding literature, as well as the editing process and performance of an interpretive speech.
Limited Prep competitors will learn how to do research that demonstrates their understanding of the material, how to manage their prep time, and how to prepare their hearts and minds to give a speech that is compelling, well-reasoned and impactful.
- Speech Camp Tuition$170$1700$0
- Deluxe Coaching$35$350$0